Friday, 12 October 2012

Back for Good

I cannot believe that almost 6 months have passed since I last posted to my blog.  It hasnt been the best of times personally but I am now looking forward with a new job, my eldest daughter finally in a permanent nursing post 3 years after qualifying and today her husband passed out of the army.  So time for me to start the blog rolling again and I will try my best to post weekly.  Of course I have still been crafting over the last 6 months so I have a good few projects photographed that I can post about.  And so I will begin with one which while rewarding to do was also bittersweet.

Last October one of my close work colleague's husbands lost a three year battle with cancer.  Six months after his death his wife was 60 so I decided to do her something a little special for her birthday.  A quick trip to Merly Impressions got me exactly what I was looking for - the Kaisercraft Cruise Ship MDF minibook.  Enlisting the help of her daughters I copied a few pictures of the two of them on the cruise holidays they had taken after Dave's illness was diagnosed.  And the following is the result:




 I prepared the minibook by painting with white paint and then varnishing to give it that cruise ship book.  The inside pages were decorated with papers from a Debbi Moore stamping magazine - they were travel related so perfect for this project.  I attached photographs of Chris and Dave on the cruise ship and in some of the stop off and added embellishments.  The anchor on the first page was from a Kanban stamp, stamped in Blue stazon onto shrink plastic and then heated to reduce it to the perfect size.  I then added acetate across the portholes and added a picture of Chris and Dave behind two of the portholes as if they were looking out.   On the second page is the lighthouse stamp from the same kanban collection again stamped in blue stazon on shrink plastic and reduced in size.  The third page has a quote about Italy, perfect to go with the picture and a string of beads to emulate decorations/  On the last page is a shore scene together with some birds stamped  onto shrink plastic and added  once shrunk to size.  The back of the book I finished with a cut out of Chris and Dave dancing on the cruise ship.  This photograph sits by her bed and is the favourite picture of one of her grandsons because they both look so happy.

While it was so rewarding completing the project, it did bring some tears looking at them both so happy and enjoying life to the full despite the terrible hand they had been dealt.  

Chris loves the book, she said it was the perfect reminder of the happy times they had together on the cruises.  

Thanks for taking the time to stop by - please feel free to leave a comment, your feedback is really appreciated.  After all, if my fellow crafters like my work that is the best commendation I can have. 

2 comments:

  1. Jacqui, what a fabulous gift! I bet it will bring many happy memories back to your friend, and whenever she is feeling sad she can look at it and remember a happier time.

    Lin xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What a wonderful thing to do for your friend. Not only can she remember the lovely times she had with her husband, she can also remember what a caring friend you are!

    Tina (Misty) x

    ReplyDelete