Sunday, 26 February 2012

Inspired by Dips


Inspired by some beautiful and details tutorials by a fellow Crafter known to us as Dips I spent quite a bit of time yesterday in my craft room creating personalised hatpins and ribbon flowers.  I went into Hull on Friday and managed to pick up a few of the teardrop hatpins and then headed into the student shopping heaven, Primani, and went straight to the jewellery displays.  Exit with a set of crystal bracelets for £4, a set of four diamante earings for £2 and some large faux pearl earings for a £1 and I was all set.

Apolgies for the abismal photo taking, the pics always look so much better on my phone. 

Anyway I am quite hooked, the flowers got better the more I made, the yellow one at the front was the first and at that point I was having trouble getting to grips with the pleating and wrapping but the more I did, the more relaxed I got and the better and more open the flowers.  I used hatpins and the earings for the centres - will be heading back for more of the diamante earings, I love those black flowers with the bling centre. 

Then it was onto the hat pins.  I snipped the elastic on the bracelets and put the beads on a beading mat to stop them going everywhere and away I went.  I already had some large white 3 bead hatpins so they got a bit of bling added, as did the teardrop ones.  Then I got inventive and used some gold jewellery headpins on the ones laid on the mat.  48 decorated hatpins later I stopped, but I still have enough beads to do at least that many again. 

Next week it is the local Hobbies fair and my friend, who ran her own jewellery making business until she was diagnosed with cancer for the second time, will be there selling off many beads at half price (I know cos she has given me the heads up).  I will be going for a good old rummage and hope to get some more bling and headpins and have another afternoon just making hatpins up lol.  Ok, off now to find a good cheap supplier for extra strong tape as I used nearly all mine yesterday making the flowers.

Many thanks to Dips and if you want to see how the flowers and haptins are done in then take a look at her blog - dipsdesigns.blogspot.com.  You wont be disappointed but I warn you, her tutorials are so easy to follow you will become addicted - I have.

1 comment:

  1. They look absolutely fab, I'm so glad the tutorials set you off and your results are quite lovely!

    ReplyDelete